There seems to be a golden opportunity for digital currency to go hand-in-hand with the emerging trend of virtual reality. Voxelus, which calls itself the “official coin of virtual reality” is well on its way to achieving many great things, assuming the team can deliver on their promises. So far, their public crowdsale on ShapeShift.io is going quite well.
Voxelus: Unifying Virtual Reality With Digital Currency
Voxelus is an interesting concept to keep an eye on, as this platform will be the first in the world to enable end-to-end virtual reality content creation. On top of that, Voxelus will be offering a marketplace service as well, which is well received by the Bitcoin community so far. Just a few hours ago, the company successfully closed its US$350,000 private pre-sale, and the public crowdsale began.
Over the next 30 days, interested parties can partake in the Voxelus public crowdsale, and purchase Voxel tokens in exchange for Bitcoin. One token costs 0.0001 Bitcoin during the first 24 hours of the public crowdsale, which will then increase over time. The highest price per token will be the Bitcoin equivalent of US$0.43 per Voxel.
“We are delighted by the strong response from both the VR and cryptocurrency communities, who are excited by the possibilities that an in-game cryptocurrency can contribute to accelerate and globalize the spread of virtual reality content. Voxelus allows the 2.5 billion people in the world who have no bank account but have a mobile phone, to create, buy and sell virtual reality content, and it’s just as easy for people in developed countries as well.” – Voxelus CEO Martin Repetto stated in a press release.
To facilitate the Voxelus 30-day crowdsale, ShapeShift.io has offered their services as a strategic partner and investor in the project. It is not the first time ShapeShift has got involved in public crowdsale, either. The company aided services like Augur and Spells of Genesis in recent months.
As you would come to expect, only a portion of all Voxels in existence – 15% to be precise – will be made available during this presale. The remaining 85% will be distributed over the next 20 years and used for further development, marketing, and content creator bounties. One thing that sets the Voxel platform apart from other services is how most of the hard work has been completed already.
Whether or not Voxel will be the official currency of virtual reality, remains to be seen. There is a lot of hype and excitement going on regarding VR technology, yet it will remain a gamble whether or not mainstream consumers will jump on board this train anytime soon. Similar to other innovative aspects of life, not every company will be successful, regardless of how much money people throw at it.
Partnering With Uphold To Reach A Global Audience
The name Uphold is not all that common in the world of Bitcoin and digital currencies, although the platform holds a lot of promise to reach a global audience. Uphold is a cloud-based money platform, currently listing 24 different currencies – plus Bitcoin – which can all be moved, converted and traded in the same fashion as the supported fiat currencies.
According to an Uphold representative, roughly 22% of the entire publicly traded Bitcoin volume has gone through their platform over the past 11 months. If these statistics are correct, Uphold is one of the largest digital currency companies in the world. Furthermore, Voxel will be only the second digital currency to be supported on this platform, as all other currencies are either precious metals or fiat currencies.
Voxelus seems to be on the right track to make a name for itself, both in the digital currency and virtual reality markets. With most of the work being done in advance and partnering with ShapeShift.io and Uphold, things are looking bright. But as always, investors need to be wary of these platforms, are there are no guarantees for success.
Images courtesy of Voxelus, Uphold